Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What's Pissing Me off This Week

I'm thinking of making this a monthly post, you know, because it's therapeutic to get things out and not keep them bottled up inside. Actually, I thought of making it a weekly event, but I like to think of this blog a *happy place* so airing my piss offs all the time might not be how I envision my blog presenting itself...or myself...

#1 is The Real Housewives of Vancouver - OMGoodness.  There is nothing real about them.  Nothing.  Curiosity got the best of me the other day - seeing as how the ladies are from my town, Vancouver - and so I sat down to watch for a few minutes.  It made me physically sick to my stomach.  Every single one has had plastic surgery, and their lips are so hugely injected, they don't even have a normal shape anymore.  They might be angry, happy or sad but you cannot tell because they've got botox up in everywhere.  They are horribly self absorbed.  They're so mean to each other and those around them.  They are the epitome of everything that is wrong with our society - where little girls stare in the mirror and pick their image apart, where children are teased by other children because they're different, where those who are in a position to help those in need stand by and do nothing.  If this is what having money does to people, I can do without.  Give me a heart for those who have less than I, and keep the money.

I think what pisses me off the most, is that we glorify this behavior by giving them their 15 minutes of fame.  We watch as they parade around half cut, using words as weapons, and wasting money like it is worthless.

It makes me sick.

#2 is Mama's Boys of the Bronx from TLC.  This is a close second...in that it pisses me off just about as much as The Real Housewives.  These grown men still live at home with their mothers who do EVERYTHING for their sons, short of wiping their asses, although...who knows.  They show this clip from one show where the mother's have gone on a vacation for the week - leaving a week full of food in the fridge...and we're not talking raw materials here, we're talking fully cooked, labelled meals.  Half way through the week, one guy has run out of food, the house is a mess, and he has no clean clothes to wear, and you'd think he has to solve some problem that actually means something in the world - he's completely lost.  He has no idea what to do.  You know what you're going to do, buddy?  You're going to grow some balls, treat your mother with respect, and do an effing load of laundry.  They're inviting all these girls over to their mother's houses to party and such.  It is just so disgusting to me. 

When did it become okay to be complete leeches in society?  When did we reward men for acting like assholes?  For treating women, their mothers no less, like shit?  When did this become okay?

There are children going to bed tonight hungry.  There are children who are abused, children who are alone.  There are children, children, who are killing themselves because they've been teased and ridiculed and picked on for being themselves.  There are adults who have lived a life full of sadness, there are adults trying to stay afloat financially, mentally, physically.  Instead of choosing to focus on these, the ones who need us, we sit at home and watch women spending a $1000 on a pair of jeans or $500,000 on one of their several cars, a 29 year old woman living on the incomes of her two former husbands.

What are we teaching our children?  These children hold the future in their hands, and we hold them in our hands.  Are we teaching them to be sympathetic to the needs of those less fortunate or are we teaching them to stomp on the weak on the way to the top?  I really hope it's the latter, but I fear it's the former.  What am I teaching Q?  Will I be opening his car door and cleaning up after him when he's 30?

Oh, I hope not.

And I'm totally pmsing right now...in case you couldn't tell.

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog - very amusing! If you're ever interested in posting a free survey or opinion poll such as "What makes you angry?", please feel free to post it on our website. I'm sure you get A LOT of responses!! http://www.tellwut.com

    ReplyDelete