Wednesday, November 21, 2012

What Angry Birds has Taught me...


Some people think I'm a genius.
 
Bwahahahahahahaha, that is so funny.  I am not a genius, not even close.  I just have a mind that does not stop working, ever.  I probably think like twice as much as most people.  I think I can be thinking of three things at the same time.  This comes in handy when supervising the world and with multitasking.  Of course, I'm a woman, so that also helps with the *multitasking* and the over thinking things, too.  I remember always asking boyfriends, "What are you thinking?" and they'd always say, "Nothing."  And I thought they were lying.  How could you seriously have nothing going on in there?  Nothing?  Ya, right.  Since having a son, I've realized they. were. not. lying.  Men's brains really do go blank.  Me, no such luck.
 
This gift I have is most troublesome when I'm trying to sleep.  My brain says things like, "Oh...remember how you handled that thing at work today???  How could you have done that differently, with a more positive/faster/effective end result?" or "Let's think of your bank balance, and all your bills for the next two weeks.  Let's plan how to spend/save the money, all of it, right now.  No, no, no, we don't need a calculator, we can do the math" or "Hmmmmm, do you really think you're raising Q the best way possible?  Let's think of examples of your poor parenting since Q was born and disect them one by one."
 
Seriously, this is how I fall asleep every single night.
 
Please tell me I'm not the only one.
 
So, to shut down my brain I play games, it's more fun than counting to a thousand...10 times over.  Suduko, Words with Friends, Chuzzle, the iPhone has literally revolutionized the way I fall asleep.  It helps me shut my brain off by playing mindless games.  Lately, I'm really loving Angry Birds, and as I was playing I thought (see multitasking even when I'm trying specifically to not multitask) of the many lessons we can take from Angry Birds.
 
1 and 2.  I was reminded as I played level 18-8 (Birdday Party...my favourite level...might be the pink) that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  I was reminded of this, because I kept making the birds attack the pigs the exact same way every time.  And every time I expected that *this* time it would be different.  It wasn't.  Funny enough, I was consciously doing it the same way every time because I thought all I needed to do was get better at doing it the *same/wrong* way.  Look at this, two lessons in one.  In addition to remembering that insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over and over again, expecting a different result - I also had the crazy thought that we need to be wise enough to prioritize what's important enough to practice over and over and what is *crazy* enough to be left by the wayside. 
 
3.  Sometimes you need to walk away...and then walk back.  Gah, doing the same level over and over, shaking things up with the birds and still not getting any results is so frustrating.  And yes, really very alarming that I can easily waste a lunch hour without a second though.  Anyways, out of frustration, I would throw the game to the side, do some work for a bit, and then pick up the phone again during my coffee break.  The break was really all I needed - a fresh outlook and boom! those piggies didn't even know what hit them.  Sometimes you need to take a step back, reassess the situation and then come in with a clear mind. 
 
4.  Never underestimate the power of a small bird.  You know the small blue ones?  When you hit them mid-air, they burst into three and do the most damage.  They're the small ones.  They're still pretty powerful.  You feel small?  Remember the lil blue birds. 
 
5.  When all else fails, bring in the big guns.  You get that eagle and wipe out all the suckers in one fell swoop.
 
Any great lessons you've been taught or reminded by something that seemed otherwise insignificant?

No comments:

Post a Comment