Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What are you Wearing?


One of my most favourite past times is people watching.  Yeppers...just give me an afternoon and a room full of odd looking people and I'm a happy camper.  Talk about a cheap date, huh?  (And still, no one wants to date me...shocked!!)

There is one thing I've noticed....if you're gangsta, you're gangsta...straight up.  You don't just wake up one day and think, "Man, I haven't worn those super baggy jeans that hang down around my knees and the basketball jersey and my big dollar sign necklace for a long time.  I'm feelin' like I don't so much feel like doing up my shoes...well, not my left one anyways.  And it has been forever since I wore my baseball hat to the side with the bandanna underneath it.  Word."  Nope.  That's all you got.  You open the closet and you got gangsta.  There is no 'preppy' in a gangsta closet.

And if I were to venture a guess, grandmotherly types all have high waisted jeans and sweaters with kittens on them.  Ohhh, and pastel tracksuits.  Moreso than they have necklaces with huge medallions on them that say, "Peace".  It's just a guess, though.  If you're hippy one day, can you go goth the next?  I'm not sure.  Athough one day I noticed this woman in her early 20's wearing bell bottoms, a long black coat, a sheep backpack (as in, it looked like a sheep...) and a pirate hat.  What kind of style is that, I ask?  I'm still asking, actually.  Ugh, I was just dying to go over and say, "Arghhhh Matey!"  But I just couldn't do it (must be something about being 32...)

A few weeks ago I was in the waiting room of a doctors office and this woman walks in wearing 5 inch white stiletto boots with fur at the top, skin tight acid washed jeans and a white leather jacket.  Her long, long hair perfectly straightened and in place, blond streak, dark streak, blond streak, dark streak, and so on.  Her make up was done perfectly, complete with a botox-frozen expression and extra plumped up lips.  To each his (or her) own, I'm just saying when I'm sick and going to a the doctor, it's really all I can do to get out of my pajamas, let alone wear chap stick.  But I guess if you're perfection incarnate, you're perfection incarnate, whether or not you have a fever of 102.

I have seen velour tracksuits in the middle of summer, with one leg rolled up to the knee...which I totally don't get...is just that one calf hot?  Or is it some odd ventilation system they know of, and they're not sharing...in their head they just keep thinking, "awww yeahhhh, who's the dumb one now?" 

I have one friend who looks absolutely glamorous no matter what she's wearing.  She just laughs at me when I tell her this, but it is so true.  A few weeks back we went to watch her daughter play soccer and she's in jeans, rubber boots, and a rain coat with her hair pulled back in a pony tail, and she looks like she's walked out of a "Harrowsmith" magazine.  She is so stunningly graceful and elegant.  She looks as though she has just put the horse back in the stable and she's going back to the castle for tea.  You put me in rubber boots, and well...to be honest, I don't know what I'd look like, because I don't own a pair.  Who would have ever thought I'd be coveting rubber boots...

Side bar:  Whilst googling Harrowsmith, I've found it's not a European magazine at all, but a Canadian one...I've linked the reference, so all you non-Canadians can see what I mean.  It's so weird though, I could have sworn it was from the UK.  I digress, once again.

Anyways, what's my point???  I don't have one.  It's an observation, that's all.  My style...it's kinda 'single mom, ooooh that's on sale and hides my belly' chic.  I have clothes that I've bought thinking (read: hoping) I could wear on a date.  Um, well....they still have the price tags on them...

Just for fun, what's your style?

And what exactly are "apple bottom jeans"...

2 comments:

  1. Some nanas have low rise jeans that fit well, and I've never had the inclination to buy a 'kitten sweater'. And at 2:09 in the am, you should be sleeping - assuming you've walked the dog, that is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the one leg rolled up thing is from biking :p so your pants don't get caught. And people watching is so much fun! hehe

    ReplyDelete