Wednesday, June 9, 2010

This Must Be Why I'm Still Single...

Skytrain time is MY time.  I don't really know why people don't understand this.  To all the crazy strangers on the skytrain, my time becomes theirs.  They feel the need to touch me, make small talk with me, sit next to me when there are a million other seats available.  All I really want to do is read my book.  Most days, I'm on the go from 9 am until 2 am.  I get an hour on the skytrain to myself.  I'm not mommy, I'm not supervisor, I'm just me.  Let me read my book.

On Friday night, I was reading one of the most understatedly fabulous books ever.  I found it in a bookstore for $6.99.  This usually means the book isn't so fabulous, so they're cutting their losses and just trying to get rid of the evidence.  Not the case with this book.  "The Seamstress" is about two sisters in 1920's Brazil.  Their lives diverge in their late teens, and two sisters who grew up with the same values, lives and love for sewing become strangers.  The only thing that connects them is their blood and their memories. 

So, I'm 10 pages from the end of the book.  10 pages.  It's been a long day.  It's been a loooooong day.  I am in Brazil.  I am in the minds of Luzia and Emilia.  And I hear this voice.

"Allo!"

I look up and see this moderately handsome black man a foot away from my face.  He looks a little goofy, with a goofy smile - all teeth.  Like one of Bill Cosby's characters from Fat Albert.  I don't remember his name, but the tall and lanky one with the over sized hat, who walks really slow, kinda like he's floating.

"Hi." I say and continue reading my book.  10 pages away.  Did I mention that?

"You're very pretty!"

I barely look up as I mumble, "Thanks."

"So, I guess you can tell I speak french."  Okay, so I did detect an accent.  Big deal.

"I don't mean to be rude."  I look up. "But I'm reading.  I'm at a really good part.  I'm sorry, but I'm not interested."  And I continue reading.

"Ah.  Well, have a good evening."  And he leaves me be.  Returns to his equally goofy looking friends who are laughing at him.

Maybe this is why I'm single.  Maybe this is why I'll remain single.  I'd rather read a book.

2 comments:

  1. This is why I love reading your blog. You admit to all the things I've spent years trying to hide about myself, figuring I was just looney. You make me feel so normal.

    Or is it that misery loves company?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes, well...whether miserable or not, I'm glad I'm not alone :) I'm in great company if you're along for the ride!!

    ReplyDelete