Monday, July 11, 2011

I Love my Chiropractor (Do You?)

Eight and a half years ago I was in a car accident.  It was New Years day at 5 am, I was at a stop sign and some drunk driver behind me did not see the stop sign nor me in my lil VW Golf and knocked me clear across two lanes of highway and into a ditch.  What do you think I did?  I went into total supervisor mode and supervised the situation.  I flagged down a car, got them to call the police and an ambulance (for me), got all the information from the driver who kept trying to leave the scene...

So the police showed up and the ambulance showed up.  They took one look at my poor little car, told me to stop moving and strapped me to a body board.  What do you think I did then?  I totally freaked out.  My neck started to tingle and went all cold and I started hyperventilating, begging them to not let me die, telling them to check for internal bleeding from the seat belt.  (It was so embarrassing when I ran into them at a coffee shop a few weeks later....let's just say that...)  Anyways, at the hospital they ran all the tests, found no broken bones and sent me on my way with some amazing pain killers (when taken with wine made t.v. super entertaining, to say the least.  I think my roommate walked in on me talking to a donkey on the television.

I tried physio, I tried acupuncture, I tried exercises.  And they all worked for a while, but then as soon as I stopped, the pain came back.  My doctor recommended a chiropractor along with massage therapy, and I fell in love with both my doctor and my RMT, which was kind of weird, because they were both women.  But whatever.  My pain was gone.  My headaches were gone.  I felt amazing.

Fast forward eight years.  I haven't been to a chiropractor for eight years.  One thing just led to another, one day into the next and before I knew it...eight years had gone by. 

I could barely move.  It hurt when I would breathe, my shoulders burned and tingled and went numb.  About a month and a half ago, I went to the chiropractor out of sheer desperation and fell in love all over again.  It's a little weird this time, because he was Mr. Ex's roommate in college and they're still good friends.  So I will say this, I love Dr. Dave but I'm not in love with him.  And he does that, he calls himself  'Dr. Dave' like all the time.  Even when me and Mr. Ex were together, he'd call and say, "Hey guys, it's Dr. Dave here..."  Whatever.  I don't care.  I will call him whatever he wants me to if he takes my pain away. 

He explains all this stuff about our spines and necks and vertibrates to me.  It's just so interesting.  Did you know that Chiropractic started over a hundred years ago when a man went to see one when he went deaf.  His hearing came back and all these deaf people started going thinking it was a cure for hearing loss.  Of course, it wasn't - but all these patients started feeling better in other ways, and kept going because of all the benefits.  It's like healing from within.  Since I've started going, I haven't had one IBS (Irritable Bowl Syndrome) episode.  I haven't had a head ache since we've been 'meeting'.  He tells me stuff about my body - which also sounds really kind of weird, doesn't it?  Even weirder still, I love listening to it. 

Right now, we're working on my left hip joint (remember that since I've been to a chiropractor last, I've also had a 10lb, 6oz baby....) that hurts all the way down my leg.  He massaged my ass for 10 minutes today while asking why I think my relationship didn't work.  And now my ass really, really hurts.  I have an inner ass injury, which I understand could also sound like I have hemorrhoids, so it's even more funny to me.  It makes me laugh.  I just think I'm so funny.  I am milking this for all it's worth.  He told me not to exercise it and just let it heal...well, gee...o-kay!  I was really looking forward to my work out tonight...He also told me to avoid stairs.  Sadly, my mother refuses to carry me up the stairs to my bedroom.  I guess healing my injury is not as important to her as it is to me and Dr. Dave. 

Anyways, if you have pain anywhere...go see a chiropractor.  Let your body heal itself.  It's amazing what our bodies are capable of doing.  Being pain free is incredible (even if my left ass cheek really, really hurts right now.  I think I might have bruises...)  If you live anywhere near Langley, BC and you need a chiropractor, go see Dr. Dave.  Tell him I sent you (no, really.  Tell him...I think it gets me a free visit.)  604-575-7007.  Your body will thank you. 

Did you know your head weighs 12 lbs?  On that poor neck?  Stand up straight!!!  When you do, your neck curves and acts like a spring to support all that heavy, heavy brain matter - thus alleviating neck and shoulder pain.  I know, like super interesting, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment