Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Happiest Place on Earth


For the past year - at least - I've been telling Q that when he reached 48" we would start to plan a trip to Disneyland.  I figured that I had forever.  Q on the other hand, ever eager to be a *big* boy, would get me to measure him every other week, "I know I've grown Mommy.  I can feel it!" 

Sure enough, he hit 48" and was *legal* to go on all the rides.  Then he was 49" and then 49 1/2"  - just like that.  A promise is a promise is a promise, and so we began to plan our journey to Disneyland.  And when I say "we" I mean "me" because Q couldn't care less about the planning.  He just wants to go.  Me, the planner, researched for hours on the Internet.  I spoke to everyone who has ever been to Disneyland to get the inside scoop.  I planned for September.  Got the *Ok* (in writing) from the ex.  I got the passports. We were good to go.

And then **someone** got engaged.  It's not my story to tell, and so I won't (unless they say I can...)  But I am very, very, very excited, to say the least.  But these **someones** are getting married in October-November or January-February (it's still in the very early planning stages) and I can't take Q out of school twice in the same school year...

But a promise is a promise is a promise.  

I had the money already.  I had been saving up for it for months.  I have a week off in early June.  I was just going to putter around the house and unpack (ugh).  Then I got to thinking...what if we went to Disneyland next week?  All my planning, all my research for September was out the window.  My heart started to beat a little faster.  Here I was, throwing caution to the wind and booking a spur of the moment trip.

We're going to Disneyland in 9 days.

I think I'm going to puke.

I'm a huge home body.  I don't like the anticipation before a trip.  Once I get there, I'm fine...but there are so many what ifs before you go.  I like my own bed, I like familiar things around me.  I'm doing a very adult-ish thing...I'm taking my son on a trip.  Just the two of us.  The last time I went on a vacation that wasn't a road trip to Calgary was when we went to Hawaii four and a half years ago.  Q was two.  I think we deserve it.  

But... 

What if we get lost?

What if we miss our flight?

What if our bed is not very comfortable?

What if it rains the whole week?

What if my phone doesn't work?

What if, what if, what if?  There won't be anyone to bounce ideas off of.  I'll be the only adult.  Eek.  I'm not sure if I'm ready for this. 

But then I take a deep breath. 

And I remember we're going to Disneyland (!!!!)  to have fun.  So I tell Q:

Me:  You know, our only plan while we're away is to have fun, okay?

Q:  Okay.

Pause...

Q:  Well Mommy, that will be easy 'cuz I think it's like, the happiest place on earth!!

Who says advertising doesn't work...

2 comments:

  1. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! i am *SO* happy for you!!!! we went when natalie was 2 (she doesn't really remember), but it was AWESOME and now she's begging me to go again. i think we're going to go next summer. have a really great time. you completely deserve it! don't worry about a thing. just remember... think pink.... paxil pink... and all will be well!!! ~lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you back yet???? Are you? I'm so looking forward to hearing what a super-dooper, awesomely wonderful time you had. Disneyland is the best place ever, and Q is exactly the perfect, perfect age to fall in love with everything.

    Pictures, I want pictures. EEeeeeh, I'm so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete